About This Broke Mama

My photo
I'm a new mom on a serious budget. I created this blog as a way to inspire other mothers to be a little more thrifty. If all else fails, I hope to provide some free entertainment, or just a place where you can seek comfort knowing that you aren’t alone. Broke Mamas Unite!

Monday, September 22, 2014

The broke mom's guide to: grocery shopping


It's that time of week again: Meal planning and grocery shopping. My budget is $37.39. I know, that seems awfully low for one adult and an 8 month old baby to eat for two weeks, but I assure you, it is doable. Being picky is not a characteristic that would warrant such a lifestyle. I usually end up eating the same thing daily, so if you are a person that needs variety, this probably wouldn't be suited for you. Below is my list and corresponding meal plan for the next two weeks.

CEREAL
2 BOXES OF CRACKERS
1 DOZEN EGGS
BREAD
MILK
FRENCH TOAST
PEANUT BUTTER
JELLY
Yogurt
4 CANS OF SOUP
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
FROZEN PEAS
Potatoes
Chicken
1 JAR SAUCE
BLACK BEANS
3 GERBER MEALS
6 JARS OF BABY FOOD

BREAKFAST OPTIONS
Eggs and toast
Cereal and Milk
French Toast

LUNCH OPTIONS
Soup and Crackers
Peanut Butter and Jelly

DINNER OPTIONS
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Spaghetti
Rice and Burritos
Mashed Potatoes and Chicken
Gerber Meals and Jarred BabyFood

SNACKS
Yogurt
Popcorn
Ice cream

I usually end up making everything in bulk, which is easier than preparing something nightly. I already have pasta and ground beef at home along with salsa, rice, and green peppers. This definitely aided in my dinner planning for the next two weeks too. Along with that, I do have some baby food at home too. In addition, I do have some microwave popcorn at home and a carton of ice cream just in case I feel like indulging one night! Every Saturday and Sunday, I make French toast for the baby. He loves it. We only eat dinner together during the week, so it's nice to be able to eat breakfast and lunch during weekends. The good thing is I don't need an abundance of breakfast and lunch options because he's in daycare during those meals during the week.

So, there you have it folks. My meal planning and grocery list for the next two weeks on a very tiny budget! Again, I realize there isn't a ton of variety, but I'm not a picky person. I don't typically eat for enjoyment either, so that makes it a bit easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment