About This Broke Mama

My photo
I'm a new mom on a serious budget. I created this blog as a way to inspire other mothers to be a little more thrifty. If all else fails, I hope to provide some free entertainment, or just a place where you can seek comfort knowing that you aren’t alone. Broke Mamas Unite!

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The broke mommy's guide to being a Super Broke Mom!


 

I think when people read the words "Broke Mommy" they instantly have a negative connotation. I guess I would too, but being in this situation makes me view it much differently.  That doesn't mean I never feel down about my situation. I make the best out of what I have and I spend very wisely. I'm never spontaneous though and I think that's where the sadness comes from. On a typical Friday night, most families might say "Let's just do pizza for dinner". I don't have that luxury. If I think about it too much, it makes me sad and I cry over the jar of apple sauce I'm pulling out to have with my frozen dinner. I try to steer my mind away from these thoughts and to focus on the positive. I think it takes a different kind of mindset to be able to do this. I didn't develop it overnight either. I think that's what I'm most proud of. Not only being thrifty and spending wisely, but having a good attitude behind it. Sure, I make jokes, but laughter is free and it keeps me sane.  I don't really have a point to this blog today. I just want to encourage all of your broke mommies out there that there are worse things. Yes, it sucks to not be able to spend frivolously sometimes, or have a spur of the moment shopping spree, but you're instilling some very important values into your children. I'm glad that I'm teaching my son that material things aren't that important and that it's better to be appreciative of what you have than to focus on what you don't have. I'm also hoping that he grows up with a great perspective on how to handle money, which is something I was never taught. I had to learn from my mistakes and figure it out myself. I wish I had a lesson, or two on budgeting when I was younger!

 

When I think of myself as  Broke Mommy I feel almost like a super hero. I fight budgets and cut out all unnecessary evils to make ends meet for myself and my son. It's empowering when you view it that way. I like spinning a negative into a positive. Doesn't it make your situation seem a little better? I know it isn't putting dollars into your pocket, but it does make things seem sunnier. I never want to burden my son. Growing up, my parents constantly talked about money. It was always the root of every conversation. We couldn't go a day without hearing the words "I'm broke" or "maybe on payday". Payday would come and the promise would be broken. At the time, my sisters and I thought my parents were just being mean, but really, they were just trying to make ends meet. Obviously I don't want to build a façade that we are loaded, but I don't want my son to feel the stress that I do over money. I want him to be appreciative for what he has, not be greedy, but also not have to carry the burden of money troubles around. Seems easier said than done, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment