About This Broke Mama

My photo
I'm a new mom on a serious budget. I created this blog as a way to inspire other mothers to be a little more thrifty. If all else fails, I hope to provide some free entertainment, or just a place where you can seek comfort knowing that you aren’t alone. Broke Mamas Unite!

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Broke Mommy's Guide to finding pennies


I read something interesting on facebook yesterday. Someone posted a 30 day no spend challenge. They offered adorable print outs to create a big budgeting binder that were quite impressive. After reading through, I realized that I do this on a daily basis. The only difference is I don't have a goal in mind to NOT spend money. I don't have an option.



Necessities are the only things on my list. I buy what I must. The small amount I have left over, I typically do something for or with my son. I can't recall the last time I did something for myself outside of buying a coffee here, or there. The luxury would be nice. I went shopping last weekend and tried on clothes, but purchased nothing because I couldn't. In my former life (pre baby), random Tuesday night shopping sprees were always on the list. Do I miss those days? Yes, but not because I want to buy clothes for myself. I'd like to be a little more frivolous for my son. It sucks being so tight fisted, but I appreciate that he can't talk to ask me for things. Boy, am I in trouble when that changes!

 

This all got me thinking and my gears going. Pretty dangerous for a broke mommy. I sliced and diced my entire budget to squeeze out any extra pennies, but found very little wiggle room. Cutting my grocery list seems to be the best solution, but that required some more creative thinking behind meal planning. I drafted up a monthly grocery list  and meal plan and came to $30 under budget!

 

The point behind all of this is where there is a will there is a way. It might not always be so obvious, or right in front of your face. It took me really breaking everything down to find a little more money in the budget. I plan on doing this again tonight to come up with some more ideas. Honestly, I don't need a lot and I'm so appreciative for what we have, but sometimes not being spontaneous and a little whimsical makes me sad. I just hope I'm raising an appreciative, grateful little boy who understand his mommy gives him what she can and will always try to take that extra step if possible.

 

I hope all of you moms out there give yourselves a little extra pat on the back tonight. It's hard juggling all of these different balls. We have to wear so many hats. Financial planner, chef, maid, etc. It isn't always easy. I think a lot of people forget that being a mom is like holding 20 different jobs all at the same time. I know I never gave moms enough credit until I became one. Sometimes, I even feel like a magician for making ends meet each month, but I somehow make it..

No comments:

Post a Comment