About This Broke Mama

My photo
I'm a new mom on a serious budget. I created this blog as a way to inspire other mothers to be a little more thrifty. If all else fails, I hope to provide some free entertainment, or just a place where you can seek comfort knowing that you aren’t alone. Broke Mamas Unite!

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Broke Mom's Guide To: Treating Yourself


How embarrassing. I was in a meeting this morning, raised my hand, and my co-worker shouted out "I think you need a new sweater!" I ended up having a hole in the arm of this one in multiple spots. Ugh. I had no idea. I'm lucky I even have clothes on. Taking the extra step to inspect for tears is time that I just don't have in the mornings. I was still a little embarrassed though. I know he didn't mention it in a malicious way either. We take jabs at each other all the time, but it did make me feel a bit sad. I don't have the luxury to go out and replace clothing when it becomes worn down. As sad as it is to admit this, I'll probably still continue to wear this sweater.

Anyway, I didn't start out writing this as a pity party blog. I do have some good news. I worked my budget out to have a little spare cash to buy myself a few articles of clothing from a second hand store: Plato's Closet. If you aren't familiar, it's a consignment shop that buys name brand clothing and sells them at a fraction of the price. I'm taking a half of day on October 3rd, sending the baby to daycare, and having a little ME time. I haven't had ME time since May when I took the day off of work, sent the baby to daycare, and laid out at the pool. It was my birthday gift to myself. After four months, I think I deserve a little ME time even if it's just to purchase a couple of items from a second hand store. It'll be nice to do this for myself. It's not often that I'm treated. The baby has a full closet of fall wear now, so I think it's my turn

Even though I'm usually scraping the bottom of the barrel, I try to set aside a few extra dollars for myself every pay period. Even if it's just to buy a latte, it's still something that's for ME. I work so hard and I'm not afraid to admit that, or give myself a pat on the back. A coffee here and there is the least I can do for myself. I hope all of you broke mommies out there are able to reward yourselves every once in a while even if it's on a very small scale. It makes me feel a little less broke when I'm able to do that.

Today, I treated myself to a pumpkin pie latte, which was on special for $1.99!

No comments:

Post a Comment